Wouldn't change a thing....

So the other night, while wasting all kinds of valuable insomnia time I could have used to fold laundry or be otherwise productive and clean my house, I randomly ran across a girl on facebook that I knew from various church activities growing up. Her name caught my eye because I was surprised she wasn't married. I look at her pictures and found she is a model, an actress, and a writer in NYC. WOW! That's pretty impressive. She had pictures from travels all over, with celebraties, and doing all kinds of fun things. As I looked through her adventures, Liv came into my room; she couldn't sleep (me either buggy boo). I let my precious girl climb into my bed and she snuggled up in between her daddy and I and she was out like a light. I know this is all pretty random. What does a person living their life up in NYC and my child snuggling up in my bed have to do with anything? But it really has so much to do with everything.

I hear people all the time saying they wish they had a more glamorous life. A bigger house, more money, nicer cars, expensive clothes, adventure. But when my Liv came to snuggle I realized I wouldn't change my modest home, my lack of car (we only have one and Ry works further away from home so I go without for now), my piles of laundry, little league soccer games,  and my not-quite-how-I-wish-it-looked yard for any of the things I saw in this girl's pictures. My family is my life. My husband and daughter are my #1's. If I had to sell our house and start walking everywhere I would be able to do it because I have them.

Do you think people who have these glamorous lifestyles know what they are missing?? I always wonder if they know how much a child can fulfill your life. Now please don't get me wrong. I am not trying to say I think they are doing anything wrong. I just don't know if they really get out of life as much as they could. But I also realize they may not believe like I do. I believe things are just that...things. I have always believed, just like one of my favorite plays titles, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU. But what I can always have is my family. I just kept thinking how much I would have missed meeting Ryan, being engaged, planning our futures together, learning how to set up a house when we were first married, finding out our baby was a girl, watching that little girl come into the world, her first time in her daddy's arms, watching her daddy melt when she first smiled at him. Her first steps, her first words, her silly jokes (that are so not silly which is what makes them silly), her energy, her love. What I most wanted to say is.....I wouldn't take fame, money, or anything else if it meant I had to miss out on all the wonderful memories I have with my family.

2 comments:

Kristin Jones said...

Great post! Love it!!

Kendra said...

Aw, Natalie. What a wonderful post and so so true. Thanks for giving me some perspective. It's hard not to want more than what you have, but I am with you - if it meant giving up my family there is no way I would ever consider it. My husband and son are my life. And I love it that way. :)