Positive History Making.....and a little bit of a soapbox :)

Wow, what an awesome week!! It was such an amazing experience to teach Livvy about the great significants of electing an African American to the President of the US. I hope she has soaked in all the politics she has been exposed to over the last couple of months. I was never taught anything about politics in my home as a child, and I thank heaven I have a husband who will explain both sides and let me choose for myself. I voted for the first time this election and I am proud to live in country where I am blessed with that oppurtunity.

I'm so glad I can keep a true open mind. I have started not looking at people with labels, but really looking at them as PEOPLE. I think Ryan's work with the homeless has played a huge roll in this. I hope I am doing more what my Savior taught and "loving the sinner, but not the sin". Recently I got into a conversation with some people about those who are on disability and how all those people are "abusing the system". They probably were not half as bothered as I was about them saying anyone can do something and no one needs to be on disability. I wanted to cry. I thought of the few clients of Ry's I met while working at WMH. Those poor people who were abused as children to the point it literally broke them. Those whose minds have betrayed them and they no longer can differenciate from what's real and what isn't. The people I talked with have that very OLD belief that mental illness can be overcome with willpower. How have we, a supposed very Christian population, fallen so far from remembering, we are ALL children of God. It should never be okay for someone to live on the streets, no matter what got them there. It should never be okay to turn your back on someone who is in need just because you don't agree with their sexual orientation. Do we honestly think Christ would do that? I am trying so hard in my life to love everyone. My current biggest stumbling block is loving those who are ignorant of the poor and needy.

So my biggest hope with this historical election is that we as a nation my turn to those in need in THIS country and take care of our own. I heard Sean Hannity ranting yesterday that some people think the government is supposed to take care of their needs and how these people must not have read the constitution. Ry and I laughed because we are pretty the sure the Preamble state "promote the common wealthfare." What exactly does that mean if not to take care of those who are in need of help?

I saw the following video (if I can get it on my blog) on a friend's brother's blog and I thought it was great. If you don't like it, sorry. But as for these Perkins, we are certainly looking forward to some CHANGE!!