Draper Temple Memories

This post is a couple of weeks late, but I wanted to share our very awesome and spiritual experience of the Draper Temple Open House. I think it could be summoned up in one word...WOW!! But I will do a little more than that.
We were very priviledged to attend on Saturday Feb 7. I was a little nervous because we had heard on Saturdays it had taken almost 3 hours for some people to walk through. I kept thinking Liv would start to get restless standing in a line for that long. My dad was also going with us and this was his first time in a temple and I didn't want him to start getting irritable (I know, those of you who know him just can't imagine why I would think that may happen :) ). We also had our office staff from the SLC store, who is not a member going as well.
Miss Olivia in her new princess dress from Aunt Jenny. (Yes, I know
the crocs don't go but we were running late.)
When we got to the church I noticed the parking lot was pretty full, but inside the church was quite empty. I was so glad. As we watched the video explaining the importance of temples to our church I was so touched when Elder Holland talked about all the many things people believe heaven to be, but he said that "without his sweet wife and children, it would not be heaven at all." How very true!!
When we arrived up at the temple there was no line at all. We weren't rushed and had time to just quietly walk through and answer any questions Olivia or our friend from work had. The inside of the building is absolutely gorgeous!!! When we first entered the chapel that views the baptismal font Liv asked in a very nervous voice "do I have to be baptised today?" It was pretty funny.

Practicing her bow (she has been watching far too many princess movies)

She loved all the art work of Jesus and was excited to point out each picture with him to Grandpa Doug and Grandma Kathy.

My most memorable moment is divided in two. The first half...standing in the glorious Celestial Room with my husband and daughter. They got there just ahead of me and as I walked in and saw Ry holding Liv and showing her all the beautiful things and looking up at the ceiling I thought of what Elder Holland had said and tears filled my eyes. I could never be without my precious family. It hit me even more as I was standing with my own family and watched my mom and dad looking at the room together. I don't know if my dad felt that awesome still, small voice fill that room, but I pray he did.

As we left the Celestial Room we were able to go into one of the Sealing Rooms. In all the open houses I have been to I had only walked by the Sealing Rooms and just looked inside. The Draper Temple was different. We got to go in and they closed the door and had a couple there to talk to us about the importance of eternal families. First the husband talked, and I am sure he shared some wonderful things, but his wife's message struck my heart so fiercely I can't remember what he said. :) As a side note, for those of you don't know, I had a sister who was born almost exactly one year to the day before me. At 9 months old she passed away from hypoglycemia. This is pertinent to the whole story because the words of the woman in the Sealing Room went something like this: "35 years ago my husband and I knelt across from each other at an alter like the one you see here. It has been a wonderful blessing in our lives, but we hold that blessing even more sacred because during those years we had a daughter who passed away. We are so thankful for the sealing that took place because we know she is still a very real part of our family." I thought I would stop breathing. I don't think I could have prayed for a more perfect couple to talk to us in that Sealing Room. And just like I hope my dad felt the Spirit in the Celestial Room, I hope and pray even more that his heart was softened, even just the tiniest bit, as my sister came to his mind.

I would love to say a huge miracle occured and he is quitting smoking and wants to start going to church, wouldn't that be wonderful? But I think a miracle occured in his just being there. I believe there are grand miracles all the time, but I think even more the Lord uses small moments to make those big miracles come to pass.

I encourage any one who can to go to the Draper Open House. It's not a huge temple, but big or small, it's the house of our Father, and His spirit is definantly filling every inch of it. Our family is eagerly looking forward to the next temple to open house in June.
And last, but not least, the long sweeping curtsie. :)

Q & A Post Open House:

Dad: What was your favorite part?

Liv: I really liked the pond the cows had on their back.

Dad: What did you think was the most pretty?

Liv: The big shanaleer

Dad: Do remember that room with the big chandelier? It represents heaven?

Liv:(complete look of astonishment) You have GOT to be kiddin' me!!

Mom: Did you like the mirrors in the Sealing Room?

Liv: Yeah, did you see how many of me there are??

Mom: So did you have a good time?

Liv: Yes. Now what temple are we going on the bus to see :)

3 comments:

Amber Miyake said...

oh!! How wonderful! What a neat experience for your whole family! I'm so glad that your dad was able to be there too! And I love what you said about small miracles. That is so true & you said it so beautifully! I'm going to write it down in my book of quotes - i hope that's ok! Thanks for sharing this neat experience! :) Love ya cuz!

p.s. I loved what Livvy said about "the pond." How funny!!

Kristin Jones said...

We got to go to the Sacramento open house a couple years ago. I agree...it is so great!!

Tasha said...

Natalie, I got your blog from your Christmas letter so I hope it is okay that Dave & I are peeking in on your cute family! What a neat experience! It sounds like the temple open house was amazing! Good for you guys to bring along a non-member & your dad...I'm sure you will be blessed for that. Dave & I have a blog, but it is private. If you want an invite e-mail me at sillydancer3@hotmail.com